Formal Complaint Form

If you are not satisfied with the results of an informal complaint investigation by Commission staff, you may pursue a formal complaint with the Commission. Because the Commission's authority is limited to that provided by statute, a formal complaint can only involve issues that the Commission regulates. The formal complaint involves a formal, trial-like proceeding before an administrative law judge. As a contested case before the Commission, a formal complaint hearing is conducted under administrative hearing rules (pg. 45). Per R 792.10419, you may represent yourself or hire an attorney. If you are a small business or commercial customer, you MUST be represented by an attorney before the MPSC. Please note that a sole proprietor and partnerships do not need an attorney. An attorney will always represent the company. As the complaining party, you must present information to prove or justify your case at a formal hearing.


Although not required, the Commission encourages customers to pursue an informal complaint prior to filing a formal complaint.