The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Notice: MI Power Grid meetings and all other MPSC workgroup meetings will be conducted via teleconference only until further notice. Please find remote access information for upcoming meetings on our calendar of events.
As older electric generation plants retire, new resources will need to be brought online to replace them. Competitively bidding new resources can help to show what options are available, ensure emerging technologies can be considered as part of utility planning and procurement, and result in lower costs for customers.
Actions to Date
- MPSC competitive bid guidelines approved for renewable energy plans in U-15806 (existing guidelines approved in 2008)
- DTE Certificate of Need order provides guidance on avoiding limitations in RFPs used in competitive bids (U-18419)
- MPSC approved competitive solicitation for new solar in Consumers Energy's integrated resource plan (U-20165)
- MPSC provided guidance to DTE Energy in renewable energy plan case (U-18232) re: competitive procurement; further review in DTE's integrated resource plan
- U-20852 - Commission launched competitive procurement workgroup to develop recommended competitive bidding rules or guidance that also align with the comprehensive planning processes being developed through the MI Power Grid collaborative in Case No. U-20633. The Commission's objective for the Competitive Procurement Workgroup is to ensure strong, technology-neutral market response and value for ratepayers though transparency, non-discriminatory access, certainty, and fairness in bidding processes.
September 2020 - Quarter 1 2021 - Workgroup sessions
- Investigate recent trends in competitive solicitation of resources
- Monitor Consumers Energy's competitive solicitation process
- Work with Consumers Energy, DTE Energy and stakeholders to refine competitive solicitation
- October 1, 2020 - Staff Strawman Posted
- October 30, 2020 - Comments due on Strawman and MCL 460.6(t)6 Options
- Comments on Strawman
- April 30, 2021 - Comments due on 2nd Strawman
- Comments on Strawman
- June 22, 2021 - Competitive Prourement Staff Guidance Document in U-20852
- July 2, 2021 - Order in U-20852
- July 30, 2021 - Comments Filed
- August 13, 20201 - Reply Comments Due