The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Michigan Behavior Resource Manual
The Michigan Behavior Resource Manual (BRM) provides the basis for energy efficiency programs designed to achieve energy savings by motivating customers to adopt behaviors that result in more efficient energy consumption. Behavior-based programs provided in utility energy waste reduction (EWR) programs incorporate the programs and values contained in the BRM.
The users of the BRM are intended to be involved in Michigan EWR programs, services, and activities, including program planners, regulatory reviewers and planners, utility and regulatory forecasters, and consultants supporting utility and regulatory research and evaluation efforts.
The objectives of the BRM:
- Provide users with accurate information on behavior efficiency measures that may be used in an EWR program and for integrated resource planning (IRP).
- Provide a common and consistent source of information for behavior EWR programs.
- Support standardization across Michigan, expedite evaluation, measurement, and verification (EM&V), and increase transparency in reporting, calibration, and reconciliation.
- Document the available best-practice assumptions regarding behavior programs and their evaluation, and how these assumptions are incorporated in adopting Michigan behavior programs.
- Document assumptions and Michigan-specific parameters for savings calculations.
Links to the BRM and related documents are found below. Please address any questions to Dave Walker.
- 2023 Behavior Resource Manual, V5.0 (BRM)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Years 1 - 10, 2022 Calibration)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Year 11)
- 2022 Behavior Resource Manual, V4.0 (BRM)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Year 10)
- 2021 Behavior Resource Manual, V3.0 (BRM)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Years 1 - 8, 2020 Calibration)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Year 9)
- 2019 Behavior Resource Manual, V2.0 (BRM)
- Opower Model Calibration Study (Fixed Effects vs. Post Only, 2015)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Years 1 - 6)
- Home Energy Report (HER) Approved Workpaper (Year 7)
- HER Measure Calibration (2016)