Bi-Directional Amplifier Data
The FCC adopted new rules for wireless signal boosters (BDA’s) on February 20, 2013 which went into full effect March 1, 2014. In conjunction with the new rules, the MPSCS revised the policies and procedures related to signal boosters. Below are some of the main items to note regarding use of a signal booster for MPSCS communications.
- Licensee Consent is Required
- The FCC requires that non-licensees who seek to operate signal boosters must obtain the consent of the licensee[s]; whose signals they intend to amplify. Consent will be provided as a letter of which the FCC requires be kept on file for presentation upon request of the FCC or licensees.
- FCC Signal Booster Classifications
- Class A: Designed to retransmit signals on one or more specific channels. Also known as a “channelized” BDA.
- Class B: Designed to retransmit any signals within a wide frequency band. Also known as a “wideband” BDA.
- Class B Signal Booster Registration
- The FCC requires that both new and existing Class B signal boosters (wideband BDA’s) be registered through the FCC Signal Booster Registration website at: www.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/registration. Unregistered Class B signal boosters after November 1, 2014 will be subject to FCC enforcement action.
- Signal Boosters Limitation to Single Service Band
- The FCC prohibits a single Class B signal booster device from amplifying both commercial services (such as Enhanced Specialized Mobile Radio (ESMR) and Cellular Radiotelephone) and Part 90 Land Mobile and Public Safety Services. This does not apply to DAS (Distributed Antenna Systems) systems because they involve a higher level of design and implementation to address the needs of each service.
Five Steps To Obtain Licensee ConsentThe following steps are required to properly obtain licensee consent and meet FCC regulations for use of signal boosters amplifying MPSCS frequencies:
- You may submit the electronic form to request MPSCS consent to use of the proposed signal booster.
- MPSCS will review the submitted form and reserves the right to request additional information regarding the proposed signal booster.
- Upon approval of the proposed signal booster, MPSCS shall supply a letter of express consent allowing the use of the signal booster to amplify and retransmit frequencies licensed on the applicable MPSCS provided call signs. This letter is required to be maintained by the signal booster operator to be presented to an FCC representative or a licensee investigating interference, per FCC regulations.
- For Class B signal boosters, the requestor is required to comply with FCC regulation 47CFR90.219 by registering the approved device through the FCC signal booster registration website: www.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/registration
- Upon successful registration, the requestor must provide the FCC Booster ID of this device to the MPSCS as proof of registration. This information can be emailed to MPSCS-BDA@michigan.gov.