LARA Hosts Child Care Provider Access Fair In Petoskey
April 20, 2022
The Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), Child Care Licensing Bureau (CCLB) will host a Child Care Access Fair at North Central Michigan College in Petoskey on April 23, 2022, between 10:00 AM – 1:00PM.
Registration is required to participate in this no-cost informational event. Registration is open and available online.
The event will bring together all of the essential elements of child care licensing to speed up the process for professionals to more quickly and cost-efficiently open their own child care facility in order to meet Michigan's need for child care.
“Parents need access to child care so they may go to their work and be comfortable knowing their child is being cared for in a safe, enriching and quality environment," said CCLB Director Emily Laidlaw. "Child care providers play such an important role in supporting children, families, and our community. This fair will make it easier than ever for new providers to start their business."
It has become more apparent than ever how crucial access to safe, quality and affordable child care is to Michigan's children, families, and economy.
Fair participants will include, Child Care Licensing Bureau, North Central Michigan College, Great Start to Quality, MiRegistry, MiAEYC, Childcare Providers Association of MI, Food Program, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE), and more.
Staff at the fair will help participants walk through the necessary steps to open a licensed facility including:
1. Submit a complete application packet that includes:
- Verify completion of required health and safety training
- Pass a facility inspection, including radon and environmental health inspections
- Obtain medical clearance, including a current TB test
2. Register fingerprints and establish eligibility to work with children
3. Attend a LARA Rules Orientation Session
4. Pass a final facility inspection prior to opening
CCLB will hold additional Child Care Access Fairs throughout 2022 across Michigan. The goal of these fairs is to provide more information to anyone thinking about becoming a child care provider and provide business startup supports that move them more quickly through the process of becoming licensed.
Free business startup support is available to interested persons and include:
- Up to $750 reimbursed for compliance startup costs for new businesses
- FREE AT&T Hot Spots - with an AT&T service contract required for activation
- FREE Radon test kits - 1000 kits available courtesy of Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE)
- FREE background checks
- FREE professional development
- FREE onsite mobile fingerprinting will be available by appointment only. This opportunity is for current child care providers with active background check account.
Child Care Provider Access Fair Details:
North Central Michigan College
Borra Learning Center
1515 Howard St., Petoskey, MI 49770
April 23, 2022, 10am-1pm
To learn more about child care licensing and regulations, or how to file a complaint, please visit www.michigan.gov/cclb.