SHPO Programs and Projects
- Case Studies
Examples of successful historic preservation projects from across Michigan.
- Certified Local Governments A federal-state-local preservation partnership
- Cultural Resource Management and Planning (ER) Section 106 responsibilities
- Detroit Civil Rights Project
An NPS-funded project to identify and document significant sites related to the African American civil rights movement of the twentieth century.
- Governor's Awards for Historic Preservation
- Historic Preservation Tax Credits
Forms, instructions, and other guidance for the federal historic preservation tax credit program.
- Historic Resources Survey Program Surveys of architecture and history
- Local Historic Districts
Local historic district designation provides legal protection to historic resources by requiring that proposed work to a property in the district be reviewed by a Historic District Commission using national standards. Click here for information on how to establish and administer a local historic district.
- Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program Preserving Michigan's maritime heritage
- Michigan Main Street Program Rejuvenating downtowns, large and small
- Michigan Modern
- National Historic Landmarks
Information on the National Historic Landmark program and the state of Michigan's 39 designated NHL resources. National Historic Landmarks are nationally significant historic places designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States.
- National Register of Historic Places
The National Register is the official list of the Nation's historic buildings, structures, objects, and archaeological sites worthy of preservation. This page contains documents, forms, guidance, and instructions for nominating a site to the National Register in Michigan.