Each year, the State Historic Preservation Office provides case studies of recent successful historic preservation projects from across Michigan to educate and showcase the benefits of historic preservation in our communities.
- American Seating - Grand Rapids
Taking advantage of both the Federal and State Historic Preservation Tax Credits, Pioneer Construction Company breathed new life into this former factory while maintaining its historic character.
- Borden Creamery - Mount Pleasant
Borden Creamery Building, constructed in 1908, sat vacant for 40 years. In 2003 Central Michigan Developers, LLC, of Midland saw the potential in the decaying building and negotiated an option to purchase agreement with the Mount Pleasant Economic Development Corporation.
- Davenport Apartments - Detroit
The Beaux Arts-style Davenport Apartments are located in the Cass-Davenport Historic District. Detroit’s population boomed during the early decades of the 20th century, and apartment design in the city transitioned from small-scale apartments and small units to larger units in larger buildings.
- David Whitney Building - Detroit
The David Whitney Building stands in Detroit’s Grand Circus Park Historic District. The 19-story office building stood vacant for nearly 15 years until it was rehabilitated as mixed-use space by the Roxbury Group.
- Forest Arms Apartments - Detroit
Located in Detroit’s Midtown, Forest Arms Apartments dates from 1905 when the Warren-Prentis district was popular among upper and upper-middle class professionals.
- Knapps Building - Lansing
Knapp’s Department Store anchors downtown Lansing. With its yellow and blue metal-paneled exterior, it is among the best examples of streamline modern commercial architecture in Michigan.
- Morrison School - Calumet
The Morrison School is located within the boundaries of Keweenaw National Historical Park. The building had
been vacant for around 10 years when Michael Lahti purchased it and invested in a new roof.
- Ottawa Street Power Station - Lansing
After Lansing’s Ottawa Street Power Station stopped generating power in 1984, the building sat inactive
for nearly two decades.
- Union Block - Buchanan
Built in 1863, Buchanan’s Union Block suffered renovations during its long life, including the attachment of
a shingled mansard roof-type awning that covered the storefronts and detracted from the historic character
of the building. In addition, storefront windows and doorways had been bricked in.
Michigan State Housing Development Authority