The Staff of Michigan's State Historic Preservation Office
All written correspondence must be sent to our new address, below. Anything sent to our prior address (Michigan Historical Center) will be returned to sender unopened.
State Historic Preservation Office
Michigan State Housing Development Authority
735 E. Michigan Avenue
PO Box 30044
Lansing, MI 48909
- Staff are listed below according to their function/area of expertise.
- Please note: the SHPO cannot offer monetary grants to individuals and non-profit organizations. Grant funds are ONLY available through the Certified Local Government Program.
- When contacting SHPO staff via email, please include a content-specific message in the subject line.
- Staff is typically available Monday through Friday during regular office hours (8:00-5:00 EST).
- It is strongly recommended that researchers make an appointment before coming in to use materials. Schedule a research appointment.
Brian D. Conway, State Historic Preservation Officer
Joelle Letts, Grants Manager & Budget Analyst
Nathaniel Nietering, Preservation Specialist & Website Coordinator
Identification and Designation
Laura Ashlee, Certified Local Government Coordinator, Outreach & Public Relations
Katie Kolokithas, Survey and Information Coordinator
Jessica Puff, Designation Graduate Student Assistant
Todd Walsh, National Register of Historic Places Coordinator
Debra Ball Johnson, Architect
Bryan Lijewski, Historical Architect
Robbert McKay, Historical Architect
Cultural Resource Management & Planning
Martha MacFarlane-Faes, Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer
Dean Anderson, PhD, State Archaeologist
Amy Arnold, Preservation Planner
Brian Grennell, Cultural Resource Management Specialist
Luke Pickrahn, Section 106 Graduate Student Assistant
Stacy Tchorzynski, Archaeologist
Diane Tuinstra, Cultural Resource Management Specialist
Jessica Yann, Archaeology Graduate Student Assistant
The SHPO programs are funded, in part, with federal funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions herein do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Department of the Interior. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color national origin, or disability or age in its federally assisted programs. If you believe you have been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please write to: Office for Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1 849 C Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20240.