Skip to main content

Welcome Developers and Contractors

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) sells tax-exempt notes and bonds and loans the proceeds to private developers. These developers use the money to build, own and operate low- and moderate-income rental housing. MSHDA does not own the housing, but makes loans and regulates operation of the developments which typically range in size from 24-150 units. Separately, the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides rent subsidy to many of the MSHDA-financed developments.

Housing Developments

Since 1970 MSHDA has financed nearly 400 multi-family housing developments throughout the State of Michigan. These apartment and town home complexes are privately owned and managed, but many offer rental subsidies or other assistance to low- and moderate-income individuals and families in Michigan. A list of federal, state, and local government financed developments is available from the Michigan Preservation Information Exchange (MIPIE).

Non-Profits & Local Governments

If you are a non-profit organization or a local government, and planning a development between 1 and 24 units, then check out our Community Development Division to see what wonderful things they can do for you! 

Must a contractor be registered at and have a DUNS number to check for debarment?

The General Services Administration (GSA), a federal agency, is required by the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to compile and maintain a list of parties debarred, suspended, or disqualified by federal agencies. Contractors as well as recipients of federal financial assistance must be registered at To determine if a proposed contractor is debarred, grantees should check the federal SAM database. Active registration in SAM is required to apply for an award and for HUD to make a payment. In addition to checking the name of the contracting firm, the name of the president and owner of the firm should also be checked. Staff should also review any state and local debarment lists. Website printouts must be placed in the file.

Per the SAM User Guide, the No Active Exclusions field on the SAM Entity summary indicates whether the entity has a current debarment. will check the exclusions list for the DUNS number of your entity and indicate whether any exclusion records exist. If an active exclusion record exists for your entity, this question will default to "Yes," meaning that the contractor is debarred. No Record Found means that the entity is not registered or has let its registration lapse. The entity should ensure that the email address is current in so that when automated reminders are sent to renew registration each year that this reminder does not go into spam due to an obsolete email address.