The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Mortgage Credit Certificate Program
The Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) program provides housing assistance by issuing a federal tax credit to first-time homebuyers statewide and repeat homebuyers in targeted areas.
- MCC must be applied for and approved prior to buying the home through an approved MCC Lender
- Qualified homebuyers can credit 20% of their annual mortgage interest paid against their year-end tax liability. A tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction in tax liability.
- The tax credit is allowable every year for the life of the original mortgage (up to 30 years!)
- Available to first-time homebuyers statewide and repeat homebuyers in targeted areas.
- Household income limits can vary depending on family size and property location.
- Maximum sales price is $224,500 statewide.