The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MSHDA oversees and administers a variety of rental housing programs. These programs involve Housing Choice Voucher assistance or subsidized housing through Low Income Tax Credits, HOME, CDBG and/or MSHDA Multifamily Development Loans.
The following are voucher programs administered by MSHDA:
- Housing Choice Voucher: This federal program provides rental assistance for very low income people who find their own housing in private homes and apartment buildings.
- Project Based Voucher: A component of the Housing Choice Voucher program that targets very low income supportive housing populations and attaches rental assistance to specific housing units.
- Veterans Administration Supportive Housing (VASH): Provides assistance to homeless veterans by combining Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) Program The EHV program provides for rental assistance and service funding to prevent, prepare, and respond to coronavirus and to facilitate the leasing of the emergency vouchers, such as security deposit assistance, utility hook-up or arrearage assistance, housing search assistance, moving assistance, and other costs related to retention and support of participating owners.
Note: MSHDA is just one of many Public Housing Agencies (PHA) located in Michigan. Subsidized rental assistance programs may also be administered by your local PHA. The HUD PHA Contact Information page contains a listing of other PHAs within Michigan.
Programs Administered at Development Sites
To find out more about programs administered at individual developments that may have received federal or state funding, contact the developments directly. Visit the Affordable Rental Housing Directory (ARHD) for individual development contact information.
Finding Rental Housing
The following are online search tools that assist with locating rental housing:
MSHDA Search Tools
- Affordable Rental Housing Directory (ARHD): Provides a search tool of all the MSHDA, HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit, and Rural Development financed developments in Michigan. Additionally, some local Public Housing Agencies have included their rental housing information in this search.
- Michigan Housing Locator: Provides a search tool for both subsidized and market rental housing in Michigan.