Michigan District of Kiwanis Law Enforcement Career Academy and American Legion Student Trooper Academy
These one week academies are designed for high school students in grades 10-12. High school students will experience the training needed to become Michigan State Police troopers. Students will learn about traffic and criminal law, defensive tactics, firearms and marksmanship fundamentals, first-aid, water safety, narcotics, search and seizure, patrol tactics, crash investigations, law enforcement career opportunities, forensic science, conservation law, underwater recovery, and character issues of leadership.
Criteria for student selection:
- Have an expressed interest in law enforcement
- Be of good moral character
- Kiwanis Club requires students carry an academic grade point of 2.0 or better at the time of application; the American Legion requires an academic grade point of 2.5 or better at the time of application.
- Be entering into grades 10, 11, or 12 in the next school year
- Have good health, capable of strenuous daily physical activity
- Have no juvenile criminal record
- Possess no current illness or injury
Placements are made on a variety of criteria and therefore, it is important that you begin this process without any delays. Timeliness and completeness are a must.
Contact your local Michigan District of Kiwanis Club for information and registration details. Kiwanis District Office: 517-676-3837.
For information on the American Legion Student Trooper Academy you may go to www.michiganlegion.org or contact Ashley at 517-371-4720 ext. 23.