The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Submerged Vehicle Escape and Rescue Training
This five-hour course is designed to prepare first responders to make safe rescues in a submerged vehicle water emergency. Students will be taught practical water rescue techniques that can be used by any first responder. This course will utilize the State Police Academy’s Submerged Vehicle Rescue Simulator. Students will be given a ResQme window punch tool to train with and to carry with them on the road.
Topics to be covered include:
- Swimming in full uniform
- Four methods of rescue in a water emergency
- Characteristics of submerged vehicles/li>
- Submerged vehicle escape methods/self rescue techniques and hazards
- Cold water immersion survival factors and four critical phases
- Entering the water
- Approach strokes
- Surface dives
- Locating vehicle/victims and removal of victims
- Window punch tools