The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Precision Driving Instructor Program
The Precision Driving Instructor Program (2 Weeks) is designed to provide training to those individuals who will be actively involved in the training of other police officers, both in-service and recruit levels.
The 80-hour course will consist of classroom training covering such areas as:
- Vehicle dynamics
- Civil liability/legal issues
- Defensive driving
- Performance driving
- Skid control
- Night driving
- Instructor development techniques
- In-car role reversal exercises
Also included in the program will be practical driving exercises consisting of serpentine, evasive maneuvering, controlled braking, precision maneuvering, skid control, performance driving, night driving, and a cumulative skills assessment. Michigan State Police patrol vehicles will be provided for all driving exercises.
Class size is limited to 12 students to allow a 2-to-1 student/instructor ratio.
(Mandatory for successful completion of program.)
Officers registering for the Precision Driving Instructor Program must:
- Have previously attended the 36-hour MSP Advanced Precision Driving Program or provide written curricula, in advance, of all driver training programs successfully completed and endorsed by the Michigan State Police's Precision Driving Unit.
- Participate in the entire 80-hour program (court appearances, etc., must be rescheduled)