Exploring Education and Career Paths

Exploring Education and Career Paths

Additional Financial and Other Resources

Additional Financial and Other Resources

Transfer and Military Credit

Transfer and Military Credit

  • Soldier discussing document with womanTransfer and Military Credit

    Throughout your service in the military, you completed ongoing training and education for your military occupation. You also may have utilized testing benefits for exams such as CLEP while serving in the military. Colleges and universities throughout the state will evaluate your military training and education using your Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force to determine if you will receive transfer credit. To learn more about having your prior learning evaluated, contact the admissions office at the college or university you plan to attend.

    If you have completed coursework in the past at a Michigan college or university, and you intend to transfer to a new school, you can learn more about transferring credits through the MI Transfer website for the Michigan Transfer Network. The website provides information about transfer equivalencies, transfer agreements between schools, and more.


High School Diplomas for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Veterans

  • Handing diploma at graduation High School Diplomas for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Veterans
    Honorably discharges WWII, Korean or Vietnam era veterans who were unable to receive their high school diplomas because they enlisted or were drafted into the armed forces can still be awarded their graduation certificate.
    Veterans must have attended high school in Michigan and served in the military during the following time periods:

    WWII: Dec. 16, 1940 - Dec. 31, 1946
    Korean conflict: June 27, 1950 - Jan. 31, 1955
    Vietnam: Feb. 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975

    To apply for a diploma, the veteran or next of kin must return the Application for High School Diploma for Michigan WWII, Korean and Vietnam Era Veterans form to the veteran's school district for processing along with a copy of their discharge papers.

    To obtain a copy of their dischargepapers, a DD-214 Request Form needs to be completed, signed and submitted to MVAA's Resource Center.

    A request form can also be downloaded and emailed to MVAAResourceCenter@michigan.gov.


Benefits for Family Members

  • Father and son reviewing benefitsBenefits for Family Members

    Spouses and dependent children of service members and veterans may be eligible for educational support programs. Service members who have Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits may transfer the benefit to eligible family members if they meet the transfer criteria. The transfer must be completed while the service member is still on active duty. To learn more about who qualifies and how to transfer benefits, visit the Transfer of Entitlement section of the GI Bill website.

    Survivors and dependents of a service member:

    VA survivors and dependent children are offered specific educational benefits. Dependent children who have been covered by CHAMPVA or TRICARE may retain their coverage as enrolled college student. Visit the TRICARE website and review the college students section of the page to find out if you're eligible for an extension. If you are covered by CHAMPVA benefits, you can learn more about eligibility for coverage with school enrollment by visiting their fact sheet. The registrar's office at your school can assist you with enrollment verification processes for your school.

    The Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to the child of a veteran who died while on acice federal duty or who has been awarded a total and permanent disability rating from VA. The grant is administered by the Michigan Department of Treasury. Call 888-447-2687 for more information.


  • MVAA logo

  • Contact us

    Contact us

    Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency
    3423 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
    Bldg 32
    Lansing, MI 48906
    800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838)

  • Social Media

    Follow us on Social Media

  • Sign-up

    Newsletter Sign-up

    Sign up for veterans news and updates by entering your email below.