MVAA launches Student/Apprentice of the Month program
The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency has launched a new program recognizing individual veterans leading the way in academics and their communities. The Student/Apprentice of the Month program allows educators and apprenticeship providers to nominate outstanding students or apprentices that are leaders academically and in their community to be recognized by the MVAA.
One veteran will be recognized each month, with the awardees from each quarter eligible for selection as the Student/Apprentice of the Quarter. At the end of the year, a Student/Apprentice of the Year will be selected from the quarterly winners. Student/Apprentice of the Year will be announced (tentatively) in November at the second annual Michigan Military & Veterans Gala with all Students/Apprentices of the Quarter and representatives from their organizations in attendance.
Below is a list of program guidelines:
- Only MVAA Veteran-Friendly Schools or facilities with VA-approved apprenticeships may submit nominations.
- Each nominee can only be selected as Student Veteran/Apprentice of the Month once.
- Nominees must be active students/apprentices at the time of nomination ONLY. If a nominee completes their program prior to the end of the award year, they can still be eligible for awards through the end of that cycle.
- Each school/organization is limited to one awardee of Student Veteran/Apprentice of the Month per annual cycle.
- Schools/Organizations are responsible for vetting each nominee, ensuring that each nominee represents academic and community leadership, excellence, and integrity.
- Student/Apprentice Veterans must be honorably discharged (DD214 will be required showing discharge status) or currently serving (most recent Leave and Earnings Statement will take the place of the DD214). Sensitive information such as family names or social security numbers should be redacted.
- Nominations must be before the end of the month prior to the nomination month - so if the nomination is for December, for example, the submission must be received before Nov. 30.
- All applications will be reviewed blindly (names/institutions will be redacted) by a panel at the MVAA, all results are final.
- Nominations that are not selected can be considered for future months in the absence of other nominations.
Nominations can be sent in through the Student/Apprentice of the Month Nomination Form.