The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Since 1944, VA has backed more than 22 million home loans for veterans and their families, allowing them to become homeowners.?VA provides a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help buy, build, repair, retain or adapt homes. VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies, and VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide more favorable terms.
You can use a VA-guaranteed loan to buy your next home, either existing or pre-construction, or refinance an existing loan. Generally, you are eligible if you are a:
- Veteran who meets length of service requirements
- Service member on active duty who have served a minimum period
- Reservists and National Guard member (in certain cases)
- Surviving spouse of a deceased veteran (in certain cases)
Advantages of a VA Home Loan
A VA-guaranteed home loan offers many advantages, including:
- Equal opportunity for all qualified veterans to obtain a VA loan
- No down payment (unless required by the lender or the purchase price is more than the reasonable value of the property)
- No mortgage insurance
- One-time VA funding fee that can be included in the loan
- Veterans receiving VA disability compensation are exempt from the VA funding fee
- VA limits certain closing costs a veteran can pay
- Can be assumed by qualified persons s
- Minimum property requirements to ensure the property is safe, sanitary and sound
- VA staff dedicated to assisting veterans who become delinquent on their loan
For more information, visit the?VA website.
To read more about eligibility rules, visit https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/home-loans/eligibility/.
If you are a realtor and want to learn more about how you can be of service to a veteran, visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/realtors.asp