Since 1944, VA has backed more than 22 million home loans for veterans and their families, allowing them to become homeowners.?VA provides a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help buy, build, repair, retain or adapt homes. VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies, and VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide more favorable terms.
You can use a VA-guaranteed loan to buy your next home, either existing or pre-construction, or refinance an existing loan. Generally, you are eligible if you are a:
- Veteran who meets length of service requirements
- Service member on active duty who have served a minimum period
- Reservists and National Guard member (in certain cases)
- Surviving spouse of a deceased veteran (in certain cases)
Advantages of a VA Home Loan
A VA-guaranteed home loan offers many advantages, including:
- Equal opportunity for all qualified veterans to obtain a VA loan
- No down payment (unless required by the lender or the purchase price is more than the reasonable value of the property)
- No mortgage insurance
- One-time VA funding fee that can be included in the loan
- Veterans receiving VA disability compensation are exempt from the VA funding fee
- VA limits certain closing costs a veteran can pay
- Can be assumed by qualified persons s
- Minimum property requirements to ensure the property is safe, sanitary and sound
- VA staff dedicated to assisting veterans who become delinquent on their loan
For more information, visit the?VA website.
To read more about eligibility rules, visit https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/home-loans/eligibility/.
If you are a realtor and want to learn more about how you can be of service to a veteran, visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/realtors.asp