The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Why Michigan for Transitioning Service Members
WHYMI MOBILE APP
Our free WhyMI app is specially designed for transitioning service members and veterans to learn more about Michigan and to take an active role in looking for apprenticeships and employment, applying for health care, continuing their education and more. From the real-time job board to a listing of veteran services offered in each of Michigan's 10 regions, the app offers a wide-ranging collection of veteran-specific resources. To download the WhyMI app, visit the App Store or Google Play.
QUALITY OF LIFE IN MICHIGAN
- Between the beautiful Great Lakes and 11,000+ inland lakes, we have 3,288 miles of shoreline - more than any state except Alaska.
- We're a top-5 state for low cost of living and a top-10 state for housing affordability (U.S. News).
- 13,000+ miles of hiking trails and paths.
- Five national parks, including Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - dubbed the Most Beautiful Place in America (Good Morning America).
- The best of all seasons: Swimsuit? - check. Fall colors? - check. Snowmobiles and skis? - check.
- Free fishing and hunting licenses for 100% disabled veteran residents.
- Rural beauty and urban excitement - from historic lighthouses to 400+ breweries to professional sports teams, there's something for everyone.
- LEARN MORE AT PURE MICHIGAN.
EMPLOYMENT & INCOME
- Nearly 400 MVAA-certified Veteran-Friendly Employers.
- Booming industries, with diverse opportunities in manufacturing, health care, automotive, defense, cybersecurity, agribusiness, government, information technology, life sciences, education, etc.
- Diverse opportunities for diverse lifestyles - including urban, suburban and rural working and living.
- Veterans make an average of $82,893 a year in Michigan, fifth highest in the nation, a 2020 study found.
- Employment opportunities for spouses of veterans.
- 61 MVAA-certified Veteran-Friendly Schools.
- 93 colleges and universities.
- 1,000+ registered apprenticeship programs, some with opportunities for GI Bill® use.
- Opportunities for eligible spouses and dependents of veterans through GI Bill®, free college opportunities, Children of Veterans Tuition Grant, and more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
- 5 VA Medical Centers.
- 18 VA Community-Based Outpatient Clinics; 8 VA Outpatient Clinics.
- 8 VA Vet Centers (Community-Based Counseling Centers).
- Learn more in the health care section of our website.
- Our Veteran Resource Service Center technicians are available 24/7/365 at 1-800-MICH-VET (1-800-642-4838) to help connect you to the education, health care and other benefits and services you earned for your service.
- A network of accredited Veteran Service Officers located around the state to help you file VA benefit claims.
- Emergency aid available to eligible veterans and their families through the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund and other sources.