The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Why Michigan for Transitioning Service Members
WHYMI MOBILE APP
Our free WhyMI app is specially designed for transitioning service members and veterans to learn more about Michigan and to take an active role in looking for apprenticeships and employment, applying for health care, continuing their education and more. From the real-time job board to a listing of veteran services offered in each of Michigan's 10 regions, the app offers a wide-ranging collection of veteran-specific resources. To download the WhyMI app, visit the App Store or Google Play.
Download the App:
Apple iOS Devices
QUALITY OF LIFE IN MICHIGAN
EMPLOYMENT & INCOME
- 61 MVAA-certified Veteran-Friendly Schools.
- 93 colleges and universities.
- 1,000+ registered apprenticeship programs, some with opportunities for GI Bill® use.
- Opportunities for eligible spouses and dependents of veterans through GI Bill®, free college opportunities, Children of Veterans Tuition Grant, and more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
- Our Veteran Resource Service Center technicians are available 24/7/365 at 1-800-MICH-VET (1-800-642-4838) to help connect you to the education, health care and other benefits and services you earned for your service.
- A network of accredited Veteran Service Officers located around the state to help you file VA benefit claims.
- Emergency aid available to eligible veterans and their families through the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund and other sources.
In the Michigan National Guard, you can achieve your personal and professional goals, including pursuing your education, while enjoying plenty of time with your family. The Michigan National Guard gives you the opportunity to serve part time and continue to build upon the skills from your active duty career. You will be able to reap many of the same benefits you've been accustomed to throughout your military career. Most importantly, you can continue to help the people in your community when they need you most, while serving your nation with honor and pride. You will find the opportunities you are looking for in the Michigan National Guard. It is military service that fits your life! Learn more at minationalguard.dodlive.mil.