Skip to main content

Contact OCO

How to Contact the Office of Children's Ombudsman:

The OCO is not an emergency intervention service.

If you are calling about a case in need of immediate action, call your local Department of Human Services off or law enforcement agency.

If you need to make a complaint of abuse or neglect, please call Centralized Intake at (855) 444-3911.


All contact with the OCO is strictly confidential.

The OCO physical office is closed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage you to contact our office via our online complaint form.

We are still here to complete our important work! - Phone Office Hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. 

Within the Lansing Area: (517) 241-0400

  • Outside the Lansing Area: 1-800-MICH-FAM (1-800-642-4326)
  • Fax: 1-(517) 335-4471
  • Write:  Office of Children’s Ombudsman

                P.O Box 30026
                Lansing, MI 48909


How to File a Complaint:

The intake investigator will need the following information from you:

  • Your name, address and phone number
  • Child(ren)'s name and date of birth
  • Child(ren)'s county of residence
  • Parent's names and dates of birth
  • Name of the Agency Involved
  • Caseworker's name(s)
  • Names of the other agency officials you have spoken to
  • A description of your complaint concern
  • Action(s) you are requesting from the OCO


The Ombudsman will determine if the OCO has the authority to investigate your complaint. If the OCO is unable to investigate your complaint, the OCO will provide you with referral information to assist you in resolving your problem.