Skip to main content

Ombudsman Reference List

Click on your state or country to see a list of child ombudsman specialists, general jurisdiction offices and other relevant information.





























New Hampshire 

New Jersey 

New Mexico 

New York 

North Carolina 

North Dakota 





Rhode Island 

South Carolina 

South Dakota 







Washington DC 

West Virginia 












Back to Top 


Office of the Ombudsman 

Alaska now has state ombudsman offices in Anchorage and Juneau to help people across the state with questions and complaints about state government agencies and the University of Alaska. Juneau residents may call the Ombudsman for help with municipal issues as well. The office does not investigate complaints against elected officials, judges, private business, or individuals.

How to contact: 

Office of the Ombudsman
P.O. Box 102636
Anchorage, AK 99510-2636

(907) 269-5290
Toll Free: (800) 478-2624
Fax: (907) 269-5291

Juneau Office 
(907) 465-4970
Toll Free: (800) 478-4970
Fax: (907) 465-3330 



Back to Top 


Arizona Ombudsman-Citizens' Aide 

The Arizona Ombudsman-Citizens' Aide investigates complaints against other state agencies, such as Child Protective Services, and offers information and referral services to Arizona citizens. The Ombudsman's office completes impartial investigations and makes recommendations to the agency to resolve both individual complaints as well as systemic issues.

How to contact: 

Arizona Ombudsman-Citizens' Aide
3737 N. 7th Street, Ste. 209
Phoenix, AZ 85014

(602) 277-7292
Toll Free: (800) 872-2879
Fax: (602) 277-7312 

Family Advocate 

How to contact: 

The Family Advocate is a division of Children, Youth, and Families. It receives and responds to complaints made by persons who either have an open or closed Child Protective Services case and by family members or acquaintances of persons with an open or closed CPS case.

Family Advocate
Arizona Department of Economic Security

Toll free: (877) 527-0765 



Back to Top


The Foster Parent Ombudsman 

The Foster Parent Ombudsman serves as an advocate for foster parents and acts as a liaison between the DCFS staff and the foster parents.  The Ombudsman helps answer questions, provides training and assistance, and works to help resolve complaints or problems the foster parent might be having with the Division.

How to contact: 

The Foster Parent Ombudsman
Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 1437, Slot S 560
700 Main Street
Little Rock, AK 72203-1437

(501) 682-8770
Fax: (501) 682-6968



Back to Top


Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman 

The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman is an independent resource for reviewing issues concerning children and youth in foster care and those who care about them. The Ombudsman Office receives complaints and concerns from a wide range of individuals including foster youth, parents, relatives, CASAs , attorneys, social workers, and many other interested parties.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman
744 P. Street M.S. 9-025
Sacramento, CA  95817

Toll free: (877) 846-1602 

Children's Services Operation Bureau 

The mission of the Children's Services Operation Bureau is to protect children who are at risk, safeguard the rights of those who receive child welfare services, and maintain the integrity of families by assisting and supporting counties' compliance with uniform implementation of laws and regulations governing the provision of child welfare services. 

How to contact: 

Children's Services Operation Bureau
744 P. Street, M.S. 3-90
Sacramento, CA  95814

(916) 651-8100 




Back to Top


Colorado Department of Human Services 

The Office of Colorado’s Child Protection Ombudsman is a non-profit organization required by the Legislature to serve as an independent and neutral organization that investigates complaints and grievances about child protection services, seek and recommend system improvements, & serve as a resource.

How to contact: 

Colorado Department of Human Services
Office of Colorado's Child Protective Ombudsman

(303) 864-5111
Toll Free: (855) 572-3354




Back to Top


Office of the Child Advocate 

The Office of the Child Advocate is an independent office with authority to monitor and evaluate the public and private agencies that are charged with the protection of children, and to review state agency policies and procedures to ensure they protect children's rights and promote their best interest.  Its responsibilities include acting as an ombudsman, doing facility and program reviews, conducting special investigations and projects, and participating in Child Fatality Reviews.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Child Advocate
999 Asylum Avenue, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06105

(860) 566-2106
Toll Free: (800) 994-0939
Fax: (860) 566-2251 





Back to Top


The Office of the Child Advocate 

The Office of the Child Advocate shall safeguard the welfare of Delaware's children through educational advocacy, system reform, public awareness, training, and legal representation of children as set forth in 29 Del. C., Ch. 90A. 

How to contact: 

The Office of the Child Advocate
900 King Street, Ste. 210
Wilmington, DE 19801

(302) 255-1730
Fax: (302) 577-6831


The Office of the Child Advocate
6 West Market Street, Ste. 1
Georgetown, DE  19947

(302) 856-5720
Fax: (302) 856-5722 




  Back to Top


Office of the Child Advocate 

Office of the Child Advocate is here to provide the public and policymakers with the advice, research, data, resources, and assistance they need to ensure our state's at-risk and foster children are safe and sound, preferably in the places they already call home.

Office of the Child Advocate
3312 Northside Drive
Suite D-250
Macon, GA  31210

(478) 757-2661
Toll Free: (800) 254-2064
Fax: (478) 757-2666




Back to Top


Office of the Ombudsman 

The Ombudsman is an officer of the legislature who investigates complaints about actions of executive branch agencies of the state and county governments.  The office has the power to obtain necessary information for an investigation and to recommend corrective action if a complaint is found to be substantiated.  The Ombudsman serves as a neutral, independent intermediary between the citizen and the agency and conducts the investigation in a fair and impartial manner.  The Ombudsman does not provide legal advice, nor does it serve as legal counsel, advocate, or representative on behalf of any person or agency.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Ombudsman
465 S. King Street, 4th Floor
Honolulu, HI 96813

(808) 587-0770
Fax: (808) 587-0773


Back to Top



Office of the Inspector General 

Office of the Inspector General, a division of the Department of Children and Family Services, is mandated to investigate misconduct, misfeasance, malfeasance and violations of rules, procedures, and laws by Department of Children and Family Services employees, foster parents, service providers, and contractors with the department.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Inspector General
Dept. of Children & Family Services
Capital Plaza
4 West Old State, 8th Floor
Springfield, IL 62701

(312) 433-3000
Toll Free: (800) 722-9124
Fax: (312) 433-3032 



Back to Top





Back to Top


Office of the Ombudsman 

The Office of the Ombudsman answers questions about Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) programs, investigates customer complaints, works with CHFS management to resolve them, and advises CHFS management about patterns of complaints and recommends corrective action when appropriate.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Ombudsman
Cabinet for Health and Family Services
275 E. Main St., IE-B
Frankfort, KY 40621

(502) 564-5497
Toll Free: (800) 372-2973 



Back to Top


Office of State Inspector General 

Any person, including public employees, may file complaints or provide information concerning the operation of state government with the Office of State Inspector General. Complaints may be filed anonymously. Complaints or information may be filed online, in person, by mail, telephone, or fax.

Office of State Inspector General
150 Third Street, 3rd Floor
Baton Rouge, LA  70801

(225) 342-4262
Toll Free: (866) 801-2549
Fax: (225) 342-6761





Back to Top


Foster Parent Ombudsman


The Maryland Foster Parent Ombudsman reviews and mediates issues made by or on behalf of public foster parents that may adversely affect their relationship with a foster child or the foster parents' rights.  The Ombudsman office serves as a source of information and referral for foster care issues. 

How to Contact: 

Foster Parent Ombudsman
Maryland Department of Human Resources
311 W. Saratoga Street
Baltimore, MD  21201


(410) 767-7561
Fax:  (410) 333-0922

Foster Parent Brochure 



Back to Top


Office of the Child Advocate 

The Office of the Child Advocate's goal is to ensure that every child involved with child welfare or juvenile justice agencies in Massachusetts is protected from harm and receives appropriate and effective services delivered in a timely and respectful manner.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Child Advocate
One Ashburton Place, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA  02108

(617) 979-8360
Toll Free: (866) 790-8360 

Back to Top


Office of Children's Ombudsman 

The Office of Children's Ombudsman (OCO) is an independent state agency established by the Children's Ombudsman Act ( Public Act 204 of 1994  ). The OCO's primary responsibility is to receive and investigate complaints concerning children who are involved with Michigan's child welfare system for reasons of abuse or neglect. In addition to addressing complaints, the OCO makes recommendations to the Governor, the Legislature, and the Department of Health and Human Services for changes in child welfare laws, rules, and policies to improve outcomes for children.

How to Contact: 

Office of Children's Ombudsman
P.O. Box 30026
Lansing, MI 48909

(517) 241-0400
Toll Free: (800) 642-4326
Fax: (517) 335-4471 

Back to Top


Office of the Ombudspersons for Families 

Office of the Ombudspersons for Families ensures that children and their families, covered by child protection services, are guaranteed fair treatment by all agencies that provide child welfare services.  The Ombudsperson monitors agency compliance with all child welfare laws and placement impacting a child of color.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Ombudspersons for Families
1450 Energy Park Drive, Ste. 106
St. Paul, MN 55108

(651) 603-0058
Toll Free: (888) 234-4939 



Back to Top


State of Missouri Office of Child Advocate

The main function of the Office of Child Advocate is to : review foster care case management, review unsubstantiated hotline cases, mediate between parents and schools regarding abuse allegations in a school setting, review child fatalities for children and families that have had a history with the Children's Division, and provide information and referrals for families needing services.

How to Contact: 

State of Missouri
Office of Child Advocate
P.O. Box 809
Jefferson City, MO  65102

(866) 457-2302

Back to Top


Citizens' Advocate Office 

Citizens' Advocate Office is directly charged by the Governor to assist Montanans in their interactions with state executive branch agencies. 

How to Contact: 

Citizens' Advocate Office
State Capitol, Room 232
P.O. Box 200803
Helena, MT 59620-0803

(406) 444-3468
Toll Free: (800) 332-2272 

Back to Top


Ombudsman's Office 

The Office of the Public Counsel (also known as the State Ombudsman's Office) is an independent complaint-handling office for the use of citizens who have complaints about the actions of administrative agencies of state government, that is, the bureaucracy of state government.

How to Contact: 

Ombudsman's Office
Room 807, State Capitol
P.O. Box 94604
Lincoln, NE 68509-4604

(402) 471-2035
Toll Free: (800) 742-7690
Fax: (402) 471-4277 

Back to Top


Office of the Ombudsman 

The Ombudsman's Office assists clients, employees and members of the public to resolve disagreements related to matters within the jurisdiction of Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).  The Ombudsman handles civil rights complaints against DHHS as well as DHHS employee grievances and disputes.  The Ombudsman Office utilizes unbiased investigation, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods and provides information and referral services. 

How to Contact: 

Office of the Ombudsman
129 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3857

(603) 271-6941
Toll Free: (800) 852-3345 ext. 6941
Fax: (603) 271-4632 



Back to Top


The Office of the Ombudsman:

Their goal:

  • To be proactive, and not reactive.
  • To interact meaningfully with youth placed in the care of the New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).
  • To be effective advocates for our youth and make sure that they receive the services and care to which they are entitled.
  • To work collaboratively with others in order to remedy individual and systemic problems.

How to Contact: 

The Office of the Ombudsman
52 Washington Street
Rensselaer, NY 12144

Toll Free: (888) 219-9818





Back to Top


Office of Client Advocacy 

The Office of Client Advocacy (OCA) provides advocacy services and helps resolve complaints about DHS services for DHS clients. OCA also provides special protection and advocacy services for individuals with developmental disabilities who are residents of a DHS-operated facility, former residents of DHS facilities or Hissom Class Members.

How to Contact: 

Office of Client Advocacy
P.O. Box 25352
Oklahoma City, OK  73125-0352

(405) 525-4850
Fax: (405) 525-4855

Back to Top


Governor's Advocacy Office 

The Governor's Advocacy Office serves thousands of families throughout Oregon every year. Citizens experiencing a problem with, or seeking information about programs or services provided by Department of Human Services receive help and direction from the Governor's Advocacy Office's ombudsmen. These concerns include, but are not limited to, child and elder abuse and neglect, access to health and dental programs, homelessness, personal or family crisis, drug and alcohol treatment, mental health programs, and services for people with developmental disabilities.

How to Contact: 

Oregon Department of Human Services
Governor's Advocacy Office
500 Summer Street NE E15
Salem, OR 97301-1097

(503) 945-6904
Toll Free: (800) 442-5238 

Back to Top


Office of the Child Advocate 

The mission of the Office of the Child Advocate is to protect the legal rights of children in state care and to promote policies and practices which ensure that children are safe; that children have permanent and stable families; and that children in out of home placements have their physical, mental, medical, educational, emotional, and behavioral needs met.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Child Advocate
John O. Pastore Center
57 Howard Avenue, 4th Floor
Cranston, RI  02920

(401) 462-4300
Fax: (401) 462-4305 

Back to Top


Office of Children's Affairs 

The Office of Children's Affairs provides ombudsman services on behalf of families and children by receiving and responding to correspondence and telephone inquiries to the Governor. In the delivery of these services, staff reviews and responds to questions or problems involving or impacting children either directly or by referral. This office provides information and referral to constituents on available services and resources in their community.

How to Contact: 

Governor's Office
Office of Children's Affairs
1200 Senate Street, Ste. 104
Columbia, SC 29201

(803) 734-5049
Fax: (803) 734-0799 

Back to Top


Tennessee Commission on Children and Youth 

The Tennessee Commission on Children and Youth's (TCCY) Ombudsman Program is an external problem resolution mechanism for children in the custody of the Department of Children's Services (DCS), relative caregiver program or Child Protective Services (CPS) system. TCCY has statutory authority to review children in the foster care system, kinship care or CPS and make recommendations for improvement. The ombudsman helps to resolve problems mediating the concerns of each person involved in the child's or family's case. The Ombudsman may serve as an advocate for the family, the state, or the provider when appropriate but is always working for the child's best interests. The TCCY Ombudsman Office accepts referrals from all over the state.

How to Contact: 

Tennessee Commission on Children and Youth
Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway, 9th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-0800

(615) 532-1572
Toll free: (800) 264-0904
Fax: (615) 532-1591 

Back to Top


Office of the Ombudsman 

The Office of the Ombudsman is a division of Texas Health and Human Services Commission.  Their mission is to serve as an impartial and confidential resource, assisting clients with health and human services-related complaints and issues.

How to Contact: 

Texas Health and Human
Services Commission
Office of the Ombudsman
Mail Code: H-700
P.O. Box 85200
Austin, TX  78708

Toll Free: (877) 787-8999
Fax: (512) 706-7130

Back to Top


Office of Child Protection Ombudsman 

The Office of Child Protection Ombudsman was established by the Utah State Legislature to help the Department of Human Services (DHS) resolve concerns about the protection of children who are receiving services from the Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS).  The purpose of the Child Protection Ombudsman is to receive and investigate complaints to ensure that proper services are provided by DCFS.

How to Contact: 

Office of Child Protection Ombudsman
120 North 200 West, Rm 422
P.O. Box 45500
Salt Lake City, UT 84145-0500

(801) 538-4589
Toll Free: (800) 868-6413
Fax: (801) 538-3942 

Back to Top


Office of the Family and Children's Ombudsman 

The Family and Children's Ombudsman investigates complaints in Washington state about agency actions or inaction that involve:  Any child at risk of abuse, neglect, or other harm and a child or parent involved with child protection or child welfare services.

The Ombudsman can intervene in cases in which they have determined that an agency's action or inaction is unauthorized or unreasonable. In addition to addressing complaints, we work to identify system-wide issues and recommend appropriate changes in public reports to the Governor, the Legislature, and agency officials.

How to Contact: 

Office of the Family and Children's Ombudsman
6720 Fort Dent Way, Ste. 240
Mail Stop TT-99
Tukwila, WA 98188

(206) 439-3870
Toll Free: (800) 571-7321
Fax: (206) 439-3877


Back to Top


United States Ombudsman Association
8345 University Blvd., Suite F-1
Des Moines, IA 50325

(515) 225-2323
Fax: (515) 225-6363



Back to Top


British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Nova Scotia Ontario Quebec Yukon Territories 

British Columbia 

How to Contact: 

British Columbia Office of the Ombudsman
931 Fort Street
Victoria, BC V8V 3K3
[250] 387-5855

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 

How to Contact: 

Province of Manitoba
750-500 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3X1

[204] 786-6483 

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 
New Brunswick

How to Contact: 

New Brunswick Office of the Ombudsman
767 Rue Brunswick Street
PO Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1

[506] 453-2789 

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 
Nova Scotia

How to Contact: 

The Province of Nova Scotia Ombudsman Office
5675 Spring Garden Road, Suite 300
Halifax, NS B3J 3B7

[902] 424-6780 

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 

How to Contact: 

Ontario Office of the Ombudsman
South Tower
483 Bay Street, 10th Floor
Toronto, Ontario, M5G2C9

(800) 263-1830
Fax: (416) 586-3485

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 

How to Contact: 

Protecteur du citoyen du Quebes
525, boul. Rene-levesque est .bureau 1.25
Quebec, PQ GIR 5Y4
[418] 644-6565

Back to Top] [Back to Canada] 

How to Contact: 

Yukon Office of the Ombudsman
PO Box 2703
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
[867] 667-8468