The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Access to CPS Information
Individuals often contact the OCO with questions about confidential Children’s Protective Services (CPS) investigation of alleged child abuse or neglect. The individuals listed below may request a copy of the confidential CPS records from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:
• A parent or legal guardian.
• An adult who resides in a child’s home.
• A person suspected of abusing or neglecting a child.
• A doctor treating a child suspected of being abused or neglected.
Even if an individual is entitled to receive a copy of the confidential CPS records, some information contained in the records may be redacted. The following is a list of information that may be redacted. This is not an exhaustive list and redactions may include more information:
• The identity of the person who complained to CPS about suspected child abuse or neglect.
• Information describing an ongoing criminal investigation.
• Medical and mental health treatment information.
• Domestic violence information.
• Substance abuse treatment information.