Monroe County, Monroe, Ford River Raisin Warehouse

Updated: November 13, 2019

Ford River Raisin Warehouse PFAS Map August 2019Background

Ford River Raisin Warehouse is located at 3200 East Elm Avenue. In the 1930s through the 1940s, the site was used by various owners for steel milling, metal stamping, and metal forging. In 1950, Ford acquired the property and converted the site into an automobile parts manufacturing facility, where it produced coil springs, wheels, stabilizer bars, catalytic converter assemblies, headlamp housings, and chrome plated bumpers. Ford conducted electroplating operations and disposed of the resulting electroplating sludge in on-site landfills.  Ford currently uses the former manufacturing building as a storage warehouse.

This facility is next to River Raisin, which flows to the southeast. Groundwater flows roughly radially, toward nearby surface waters. 

Recent Accomplishments

  • In February 2019, Mannik Smith Group, contracted by Ford, collected samples form on-site monitoring wells west and north of the warehouse building.
  • On May 9, 2019, EGLE received the sampling results exceeding groundwater cleanup criteria.  Results are indicated on the sampling chart.  PFAS was also found in the leachate that is pumped to the on-site wastewater treatment plant.

Next Steps

  • In late October, early November 2019, Ford will conduct additional sampling around the monitoring wells that had exceedances and determine whether contaminated groundwater is venting into the surrounding surface waters with EGLE oversight.

Residential Well Testing/Alternate Water Information

  • EGLE’s well data shows a few private wells roughly a half mile to the south and west of the facility, but they are not drinking water wells.
  • For additional information on residential well testing and results, visit the Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Surrounding residents are on municipal water from the city of Monroe.
  • EGLE has sampled all municipal water supplies for PFAS. View the results for the city of Monroe. 

Upcoming Community Engagement

  • None scheduled at this time.
Sampling: PFOS and PFOA Only

Type of Sample

Date Sampled

# of Samples

# of Results Received

# of Non-detects

# Between Non-detect and standard*

# > Standard

Monitoring Wells

Feb 2019 15 15 10 3 2

Cumulative

  15 15 10 3 2


*Groundwater results are compared to EGLE Part 201 Criteria of 70 ppt PFOS+PFOA.

Sampling notes

  • Other PFAS analytes were detected in samples. There are no federal or state standards for these analytes.
  • Sumps, vaults, soil, and stormwater at the site have been tested and have detections of PFAS.

Ford River Raisin Warehouse Historical Timeline

Ford River Raisin Warehouse is located at 3200 East Elm Avenue. In the 1930s through the 1940s, the site was used by various owners for steel milling, metal stamping, and metal forging. In 1950, Ford acquired the property and converted the site into an automobile parts manufacturing facility, where it produced coil springs, wheels, stabilizer bars, catalytic converter assemblies, headlamp housings, and chrome plated bumpers. Ford conducted electroplating operations and disposed of the resulting electroplating sludge in on-site landfills, known as the Eastern Containment Unit (ECU) and Western Containment Unit (WCU). The landfills were closed in place and capped in 1999 and no longer receive any wastes, however, Ford maintains obligations for operation, maintenance, and monitoring activities, regulated by a hazardous waste post-closure permit, which is currently being reviewed for renewal. Ford currently uses the former manufacturing building as a storage warehouse. Ford previously generated and disposed of chrome plating waste on-site.  PFAS were used in many historical chrome plating operations.