December 20, 2019 -- As a part of the Michigan Department of Transportation's (MDOT) commitment to improving safety and the quality of Michigan's transportation system, MDOT has announced the recipients for the fourth annual Local Grade Crossing Surface Program. The complete list of 2020 recipients is available on the MDOT website.
Selected on a competitive basis established by state law, 41 projects were awarded approximately $3 million to fund highway-railroad grade crossing surface improvements. These projects could involve anything from minor asphalt repairs to installing completely new track and surface materials.
This year, 81 applications were submitted to MDOT by 40 road agencies in partnership with 17 railroad companies. The program offers 60 percent funding for eligible projects, with railroads responsible for the remaining 40 percent of costs. All repair work is performed by the railroad company and its contractors, with cooperation for detour routes provided by the local road agencies. The railroad and local road agency are responsible for scheduling the construction work.