Built in 1902, the Michigan Governor's summer residence on Mackinac Island is a three-story structure located on a bluff overlooking the Straights of Mackinac. The residence was originally built as a summer cottage for Chicago attorney, Lawrence Andrew Young. It was later owned by the Hugo Scherer family of Detroit. In 1944, the Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the home, and since then, the Commission has provided the care and maintenance of the residence. The residence is approximately 7,100 square feet and has eleven bedrooms, nine and one-half bathrooms and a full basement. The interior features yellow pine while the exterior is constructed of Michigan white pine. The residence is a favorite spot for Mackinac visitors. Each summer approximately 4,500 guests toured the house on public tours, representing 42 states and the District of Columbia, plus 13 countries. The residence is also used by the Governor to host important events with national and state leaders. The house was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1997.
Free tours of the summer residence are available through Mackinac State Historic
Parks during the summer. Please
visit www.mackinacparks.com for more information.
Free tours of the summer residence are available through Mackinac State Historic Parks during the summer. Please visit www.mackinacparks.com for more information.