Foreclosure Rescue Complaint Filing Information


How Information You Submit To Our Office Will Be Used

If you submit a complaint, a copy of the complaint may be sent to the business about whom the complaint is issued and may be sent to other governmental agencies for their review. Some complaints may become the subject of civil or criminal cases and may be subject to disclosure as part of a court proceeding. Any information that you give to us will not be sold, rented, or leased to third parties and will only be used by us to respond to you or investigate your complaint. We strongly urge you NOT to submit sensitive information, such as your Social Security number or credit card information, unless it is absolutely necessary for the investigation of your complaint. If you believe that you must submit such information, please send the complaint and any attachments by mail.

Complaint Processing Information

The Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's office helps consumers each year by mediating complaints that fall within our jurisdiction. In many cases our assistance will help you obtain an acceptable resolution to your problem. However, if our mediation is not successful, the Attorney General cannot act as a private attorney on your behalf.

The Consumer Protection Division receives many thousands of consumer complaints and inquiries; thus, it may take several weeks for your complaint or inquiry to be fully processed. Your patience is appreciated. Upon receipt of your complaint or inquiry, we will send you correspondence confirming receipt and informing you of the Attorney General file number assigned to your correspondence. Include this number with all subsequent correspondence.

For consumer complaints we will in most cases write to the business and enclose a copy of your correspondence. The business will be asked to respond to our office. We will contact you in writing after we have received a reply from the business. If we do not hear back from the business within 30 days, we will recontact them regarding your complaint.

In some cases, the Consumer Protection Division may be unable to obtain any cooperation from the business. If the business refuses to respond, we will inform you in writing. You may then want to consider filing suit in Small Claims Court or consulting with a private attorney to review your legal options.

Online Filing Instructions

  • All complaints and inquiries should be submitted using our Online Foreclosure Rescue Complaint Form. When you submit the form you will immediately be informed of your Web File Number. Make a record of this number. If you have a complaint against more than one telemarketer, use a separate complaint form for each company.  To file a written complaint by mail or fax go to:  Consumer Foreclosure Rescue Complaint Form (printed).
  • Do not file a new form for follow-up or additional information but instead provide this information as detailed in paragraph 5.
  • Be sure to include the address and telephone number of the business you are complaining about, as well as your home address and telephone number. Accurate fax numbers and e-mail addresses will expedite the processing of your complaint.
  • Complaint details: Describe your problem, what attempts you have made to correct it, and how you would like to have the problem resolved.
  • If you include copies of documents that relate to your complaint, please remember: DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS. Please make certain your documents have some identifying information (Web File Number, Attorney General file number, or your name and date) so that we are able to match your information with your complaint. All documents should be on 8-1/2" x 11" single-sided paper. You may send documents that relate to your complaint as follows:
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909-7713
Facsimile: 517-241-3771

To file online go to Online Foreclosure Rescue Complaint Form, otherwise send by regular mail or fax as listed above. If you have any questions, please call the Consumer Protection Division Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM at 517-373-1140 or toll free 877-765-8388.