- MDOT is replacing the French Road and Concord Street overpasses this year.
- Work to set new bridge beams will require closing part of I-94 this weekend starting Friday night.
- The westbound closure has been updated to be from Conner Road to M-10 (Lodge Freeway).
July 18, 2019 -- Weather permitting, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) contract crews will be setting new bridge beams on the French Road and Concord Street overpasses starting at 9 p.m. Friday, July 19. Crews will be setting more than 20 beams this weekend, which will require closing westbound I-94 from Conner Road to M-10 (Lodge Freeway). Originally, westbound I-94 was set to be closed from Conner Road to John R. Road. Eastbound I-94 is still scheduled to be closed from I-75 to Conner Road. All lanes of the freeway are expected to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 22.
During this closure, westbound through-traffic will be advised to take westbound M-102 (Eight Mile Road) to southbound I-75, then westbound I-96 back to westbound I-94. Westbound I-94 will remain open to Conner Road for local access. Eastbound traffic will be detoured north on I-75 to eastbound M-102 and back to eastbound I-94.
All ramps along eastbound and westbound I-94 will be closed between Conner and John R. roads. In addition, the following ramps will be closed and will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 22:
- Eastbound I-96 ramp to eastbound I-94,
- Northbound and southbound M-10 (Lodge Freeway) ramps to eastbound I-94,
- Northbound and southbound I-75 ramps to eastbound I-94, and
- All entrance ramps to westbound I-94 from Nine Mile Road to Chalmers Street.
Crews will begin closing all surface street ramps at 7 p.m. and freeway-to-freeway interchange ramps at 8 p.m.
This bridge replacement is part of the I-94 modernization project in Detroit that involves rebuilding 7 miles of freeway and replacing 67 bridges between Conner Road and I-96. Follow the I-94 modernization project on the web at https://I94Detroit.org or follow on Facebook at www.facebook.com/I94Detroit or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/I94Detroit.