Social Media Day in Michigan
Mashable launched global Social Media Day in June of 2010 as a way to recognize and celebrate social media’s impact on communications. Celebrating advancements in technology, digital innovation and service improvement in government, business and education, Governor Rick Snyder has proclaimed June 30th, 2018 as Michigan Social Media Day.
On June 30, 2018, Michiganders can celebrate Michigan Social Media Day by using hashtags #SMDay and #SMDayMI on social media.
2018 Michigan Social Media Day activities include:
- Share the 2018 Michigan Social Media Day proclamation on social media.
- Share the 2018 media release promoting Michigan Social Media Day.
- Join Mi.gov from noon – 1 p.m. EDT., on Friday, June 29, 2018 for the second global #SMDayChat.
- Share the Facebook event promoting the June 29, #SMDayChat Twitter chat.
- Follow @MiGov on Twitter and use hashtag #SMDayChat during the chat.
- Pure Michigan will be giving away several prizes during the chat to lucky participants.
- Follow Gov. Rick Snyder’s Medium account and watch for a post on how government social media use has evolved over the years.
- Visit www.mi.gov/socialmedia and following the state's over 450 social media accounts.
- Join the Social Media Association of Michigan for Social Media Day Detroit.
Sample Twitter Posts
- NEWS: #Michigan Gov. @onetoughnerd proclaims June 30th as Social Media Day in Michigan! #SMDayMI Proclamation [text] https://bit.ly/2ydUsfU and [image] https://bit.ly/2t5JaEm. Learn more at mi.gov/socialmedia. #SMDay
- DYK: June 30th is the 9th global #SMDay? It is! This will be the 6th year @migov celebrates #SMDayMI! Learn more at mi.gov/socialmedia.
- .@migov will be hosting a #Twitter chat on global #SMDay to celebrate #SMDayMI! Last year @migov partnered w/ @Mashable’s @mashSMday on the first global #SMDayChat #Twitter chat. Join the conversation by using hashtag #SMDayChat on June 29th at noon EDT. https://bit.ly/2JNgRli
- How are you celebrating social media day in #Michigan? Join @MiGov on June 29th at noon EDT for a #SMDayChat Twitter Chat prior to #SMDayMI on June 30th! Details at mi.gov/socialmedia and https://bit.ly/2JNgRli. #SMDayMI #SMDay
- .@PureMichigan will be giving away prizes during @migov’s #SMDayChat on June 29th! Join the state of Michigan and #SocialMedia enthusiasts for your chance to win: https://bit.ly/2JNgRli.
Sample Facebook Posts
- Governor Rick Snyder has proclaimed June 30, 2018 as Michigan Social Media Day! Check out the proclamation [text] https://bit.ly/2ydUsfU and [image] https://bit.ly/2t5JaEm and learn more at mi.gov/socialmedia.
- Join the state of Michigan for the Michigan Social Media Day Twitter Chat on Friday, June 29, 2018 from noon to 1 p.m. EDT. Join the conversation for the opportunity to win some cool prizes from Pure Michigan! Learn more about the chat at https://bit.ly/2JNgRli and by visiting mi.gov/socialmedia.
Michigan Social Media Day Resources
In celebration of Social Media Day, we want to hear from you! What does #PureMichigan mean to you? Please use the hashtag #SMDay and #SMDayMI when sharing your posts!
Michigan.gov leverages social media technologies to provide real-time citizen-centric customer service, enhance transparency and increase collaboration with its more than 5.3 million followers.
Michigan government has embraced the use of social media since 2011. As an extension to traditional channels of constituent engagement the state uses technologies such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, video live streaming and audio podcasts to create a more accessible and participatory government.
- Michigan was the third state in the U.S. to officially proclaim June 30 as Social Media Day.
- Michigan has proclaimed June 30th Michigan Social Media Day six out of the nine years it has been a globally recognized event.
- In 2017, the state of Michigan hosted the first global #SMDayChat. The chat reached more than 764,800 accounts totaling more than 6,385,800 impressions.
Michigan Social Media Day Proclamations
June 30, 2018 Michigan Social Media Day
June 30, 2017 Michigan Social Media Day
June 30, 2015 Michigan Social Media Day
June 30, 2014 Michigan Social Media Day
June 30, 2013 Michigan Social Media Day and the weeklong social media celebration in Michigan.
June 30, 2012 Michigan Social Media Day