Skip to main content


Pinball Machines, Video Games:

Pinball machines, video games and crane games are NOT required to be licensed by the State of Michigan.  However, most cities do license these establishments and you should contact your local city clerk's office.

Games of Chance:

When a person as to provide something of value (for example, money or canned goods) to enter a game of chance (for example a drawing/raffle) to win a prize, that game of chance usually needs to be licensed by the Michigan Lottery Charitable Gaming Division.

For more information, go to or call the Michigan Lottery Charitable Gaming Division at (517) 335-5780.


If a business will be engaged in processing, packing, repacking, canning, preserving, freezing, fabricating, storing, selling or offering for sale any food item(s), or if food products are prepared on the premises, the business must be licensed as a food establishment. Contact the Department of Agriculture, Food Division; (517) 373-1060.

Also, check with the Food Division about Labeling Laws.

A sales tax license may be required if any products are sold to the public.  You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a Registration For Michigan Tax form (518).

Other Possible License(s):

Depending on the type of food processed, federal license, certification or inspection may be needed. Contact USDA Food Safety and Inspection Division; telephone: (608) 240-4080.

A cigarette vendor, cigarette wholesalers, manufacturers and transporters of cigarettes are required to be registered with the Department of Treasury, Motor Fuel, Cigarette and Misc. Taxes Division; (517) 636-4630.

Revised: 04/2005