Skip to main content

Concealed Weapon

Required State License(s):

"License to Purchase" should be executed for each and every pistol, revolver or knives purchased from an individual or another dealer. Contact the local police agency to register weapons; after registering with the local police department, contact the state police department for further licensing at (517) 322-5518.

A sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518 form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed to you about four to six weeks after your registration is processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other license(s):

To legally buy and sell firearms and transport the items interstate, a person should possess a Federal Firearms License. Contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms at the following Michigan offices: Detroit (313) 259-8050 or Grand Rapids (616) 301-6100.

To report a crime call 1-800-ATF-GUNS.

Dealers should also contact the local police agency about a "Concealed Pistols License" if they intend to transport certain types of firearms.

Revised: 4/2005