Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

A sales tax license is required for the sale of any craft items, whether from the home or at a retail establishment. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed to you about four to six weeks after your registration is processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.  

Other license(s):

When food is prepared (i.e.., baked goods, salsas, etc.), contact the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division  for a Food Establishment license; (517) 373-1060

Revised: 4/2005