Skip to main content

Drug Store

Required State License(s):

Pharmacists and Pharmacy Interns

Should be licensed with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Professional Licensing.  The pharmacy must be at least 25% owned by a licensed pharmacist.

Phone: 517-241-0199

Pharmacy Website

A sales tax license is required

You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

Pharmacies are licensed with the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency. Contact Registration Branch, 500 Dirksen Federal Building, 219 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois 60604; telephone: 312-353-1234.

When food items are sold :

(i.e.., pop, candy, milk), a Food Establishment license (see Food Establishment License for details) is required. Contact Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division; 517-373-1060.

When beer, wine or liquor is sold:

Contact Liquor Control Commission at 866-813-0011.

When cigarettes are sold from a vending machine:

Contact the Department of Treasury, Motor Fuel, Cigarette & Miscellaneous Taxes Division; 517-636-4630.

When Lottery tickets are sold:

A license must be granted by the Bureau of the Lottery; 517-335-5600.

When food stamps are accepted:

Approval should be granted by the USDA Food and Nutrition ; telephone: 313-226-4930 (Detroit); 616-954-0319 (Grand Rapids).

When a business wishes to qualify for payment from Medicare:

Call 800-633-4227; to enroll for Medicaid payment call 517-335-5492.

Contact Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Detroit for information on enrolling as a Medicare provider.

Revised: 1/2020