Skip to main content

Fire Sprinkler Installation Licensing Information

Required State License(s):

Sales tax license where applicable. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

To install sprinklers or fire alarms in schools, hospitals, hotels, prisons or similar type buildings, certification is required with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Construction Codes. Contact the Electrical Division at 517-241-9320 and the Mechanical Division at 517-241-9325.

Possible licenses:

To install fire protection sprinkler systems in private residences, mechanical permits may be required by the city, county or township clerks office.

Revised: 01/2014