Skip to main content

Firearms & Knives

Required State License(s):

A "License to Purchase" form must be executed for each and every pistol, revolver purchased from an individual or another dealer. Contact the local police agency for a supply of forms. If the local police agency does not know or have these forms, contact the State Police Department at (517) 322-5518.

A sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other license(s):

To legally buy and sell firearms and transport the items interstate, a person must possess a Federal Firearms License. Contact the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau at the following Michigan offices: Detroit (313) 202-3400 or Grand Rapids (616) 301-6100.

To contact the nearest BATF Office; or, to report a crime call: 1-800-ATF-GUNS (800) 283-4867.

Dealers should also contact the local police agency about a "Concealed Pistol License" to transport certain types of firearms.

There is no license required to purchase knives.

Revised: 9/2009