Skip to main content

Food Processing

Required State License(s):

Any business engaged in processing, packing, repacking, canning, preserving, freezing, fabricating, storing, selling or offering for sale any food item(s), or if food is prepared on the premises, the business should be licensed as a food establishment (see Food Establishment License for details) with the Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division, Food Section; 1-800-292-3939. Also inquiry about the processing Labeling Laws.

A sales tax license may be required if products are sold to the public. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

Depending on the type of food processed, federal license, certification or inspection may be needed. Contact USDA Food Safety and Inspection Division; (608) 240-4080.

Revised: 5/2017