Skip to main content

Food Salvage

Required State License(s):

Valid Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development food establishment license is required. Contact the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division; (517) 373-1060.

To become an officially recognized destination for distressed foods, an establishment should submit an application to the Lansing office on a form prescribed by the MDARD Food and Dairy Division. Application should be made at least 30 days prior to expected operation. The local MDARD Food and Dairy Division regional office shall inspect the proposed business site and operation and then notify the Lansing office for approval or disapproval of applicant.

Applicants should comply with all applicable requirements of the Michigan Food Law of 1968, e.g. construction, sanitary operations, employee practices, and food handling methods.

The facility and equipment should be suited for the proposed operation, e.g.., size, refrigeration, proper equipment and container washing sinks and toilet facilities. The exact type of equipment and facilities will be dictated by the proposed nature of food handling or processing.

Revised: 11/2002