Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

A "License to Purchase" form must be executed for each and every pistol, revolver or knives purchased from an individual or another dealer. Contact the local police agency for a supply of forms. If the local police agency does not know or have these forms, contact the State Police Department at (517) 322-5518.

A sales tax license may be required if any products are sold to the public. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other licenses:

To legally buy and sell firearms and transport the items interstate, a person should possess a Federal Firearms License with the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau at 1-800-ATF-GUNS or the following Michigan offices: Detroit (313) 259-8050 or Grand Rapids (616) 301-6100.

Dealers should also contact the local police agency about a "Concealed Pistols License" if they intend to transport certain types of firearms.

Revised: 4/2005