Skip to main content

Hardware Store

Licensing Information

Retail: A sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed to you about four to six weeks after your registration is processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Additional licenses may be required depending on the type of products sold. See individual listings (grocery store, sporting goods store, etc.) for details.

Resale: State law allows cities to regulate secondhand dealers. Check with city clerk's office. Refer to MCLA 445.401-445.408 and MCLA 446.201-446.219.

Firearms:  License to Purchase should be executed for each and every pistol or revolver purchased from an individual or another dealer. Contact the local police agency.

Credit Cards:  Should be licensed with the Department of Insurance and Financial Services, for licensure information at 877-999-6442 or visit

Further Information: A business that is having problems joining the master card, visa, etc., company programs; so that their customers may use their cards to purchase the businesses merchandise; should call the Michigan Retailers Association at 517-372-5656. This association has a credit card program that their members can buy into. 

Revised: 01/2020