Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

The importing of items to the United States is governed and regulated by the federal government. To learn about regulations and restrictions of specific goods as well as import duties, contact the U.S. Department of Treasury, Customs Service, 477 Michigan Avenue, Room 200, Detroit Michigan 48226-2568; telephone: (313) 442-0200.

When product(s) are being imported for the use of or sale to others, a sales tax license is required. You may call the Department of Treasury and request a 518 sales tax form at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

There may be other required license(s)/permit(s) depending on the nature of the product being imported.

Revised: 4/2005