Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

Owners of rental property (landlords) who rent or lease their own real estate are not required to be licensed nor are the employees of the property owners who rent or lease their employer's properties in the owner's name. Persons who have complaints against landlords/property owners can file a complaint with the Michigan Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at 517-373-1140.


A real estate license is required with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Professional Licensing 517-241-0199 for "property management" (third parties who rent or lease real property for others for a fee). Property managers must be licensed as either real estate salespersons (who work through an employing broker) or real estate brokers (who may work independently). Persons with complaints about this type of property managers can file a complaint with the Department at 517-241-0199 or visit our website at


Further Information:


Landlord and Tenant Relationships Act 348 of 972, as amended.


Property managers may obtain a certification from the Institute of Real Estate Management in Chicago at 312-329-6000.


Revised: 8/2016