Skip to main content

Leasing, Vehicle

Required State License(s):  

An owner should  pay sales tax on purchase or charge use tax on rental income. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales or use tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.  

When leasing a truck, and its use is for hauling freight or package delivery, the leasing company is responsible for meeting PSC Motor Carrier requirements. Contact the Public Service Commission, Motor Carrier Division; (517) 241-6030.

Auto Lessee's financing purchases or arranging financing elsewhere, the Lessee is required to be licensed as an Installment Seller of Motor Vehicles. Contact the Department of Insurance and Financial Services for licensure information at 877-999-6442 or visit

Revised: 01/2020