Skip to main content

Party Store

Required State License(s):

Food establishment license is required from the Department of Agriculture & Rural Development for any prepackaged food items sold. Contact the Food and Dairy Division at 1-800-292-3939.

Available products to the public, a sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

Other Possible Licenses:  

Wherever gasoline is sold, a Retail Gas Outlet license is required with the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Laboratory Division 517-655-8202.  

If beer, wine, and/or liquor are sold, a license should be obtained from the Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC). Please visit the MLCC webpage or contact the MLCC, toll-free, at 866-813-0011 for information on the appropriate liquor licenses for your business.

When cigarettes are sold from a vending machine, contact the Department of Treasury, IFTA/Motor Carrier, Tobacco Taxes and Registration Division 517-636-4630.

Wherever live bait (minnows) is sold, contact the Department of Natural Resources at 517-284-6045 for a retail minnow dealer's license.

To obtain authorization to accept food stamps, contact the USDA Food & Nutrition at 313-226-4930 [Detroit] or 616-954-0319 [Grand Rapids].

Further Information:  Professional Association: Michigan Grocers Association, 517-372-6800.

Revised: 5/2017