Skip to main content

Private Well and Other Well Permits (i.e. Type III and Irrigation)

Contact the local county or district health department having jurisdiction of well construction permits before starting well construction.

 The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) is responsible for overseeing the local health departments that have authority to implement Part 127, Water Supply and Sewer Systems, Public Health Code, 1978 PA 368, as amended, and Administrative Rules.

Local health departments also administer the Safe Drinking Water Act, 1976 PA 399, as amended for Type III public water supplies.

Visit the EGLE website located at for more information.

Revision Date: 12/2019