Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

Any type of new manufacturer within the State of Michigan, should contact the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy, Assistance Center 800-662-9278 for information and assistance about environmental issues.

Other Possible License(s):

Should comply with the federal laws and rules administered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This includes the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act and rules contained in 21 CFR 700. Contact the FDA, District Office in Chicago, at 312-353-5868, for further information.

If the manufactured product is potentially flammable or explosive, contact the State Police, Fire Marshal 517-322-1924.

Contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission for regulations concerning electrical, mechanical products 312-353-8260.

Check manufacturer listings for the specific type of manufacturing to be conducted for more information on industry specific licensing requirements.

A sales tax license is required for sales. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660 and request a sales tax license. 

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

Further Information:

Professional Association: Michigan Manufacturers Association, 620 South Capitol Avenue; P.O. Box 14247, Lansing, MI 48931-4247 517-372-5900.

Professional Organization: The Institute for the Advancement of Prosthetics, 4424 South Pennsylvania, Lansing, MI 48910 517-394-5850.

Revised: 12/2019