Skip to main content

Racehorse Owner/Trainer/Exercise Person

Required State Licenses for Pari-Mutuel Horse Racing in Michigan

The Michigan Gaming Control Board has the responsibility to authorize and regulate pari-mutuel horse racing in Michigan. The program objectives are achieved through a number of regulatory activities including issuing licenses to anyone associated with pari-mutuel horse racing in Michigan. See below for a list of those requiring a license.

Visit for downloadable applications, locations and schedules of licensing offices, and other information about horse racing in Michigan.

Michigan  Gaming Control Board
3062 W. Grand Blvd., L-700
Detroit, MI  48202

Phone: 313-456-4100
Fax:     313-456-2864   

Those needing to be licensed by the Michigan Gaming Control Board are as follows:

Multi-jurisdiction Owner Application

  • Race Horse Owner (license only)

Occupational License Application

  • Owner and/or another license listed below
  • Trainer
  • Assistant Trainer
  • Driver
  • Jockey/Apprentice
  • Jockey
  • jockey Agent
  • Veterinarian
  • Farrier/Plater/Blacksmith
  • Racing Official
  • Association/Track
  • Employee
  • Groom
  • Other Stable Help
  • Vendor

Partnership Application

  • Partnership/Corporation/Stable/Estate/Syndicate

Restricted Area Pass Application

  • Restricted Area Pass

Authorized Agent Application

  • Authorized Agent

Revised: 01/29/2014