Skip to main content

Scrap Metal Processor & Hauler

Required State License(s):

When purchasing vehicles and processing it for scrap metal (shredding); a license is required with the Michigan Department of State's Bureau of Regulatory Services (BRS). For more information visit our Web site or call 1-888-SOS-MICH (888-767-6424).

Michigan State Police: When hauling for-hire, in intrastate commerce, operating authority must be granted through the Motor Carrier Division, MSP. Once granted authority, the carrier may have to license its intrastate vehicle(s).

For-hire means, for a direct or indirect fee, transporting property not owned nor manufactured by the company doing the transporting.

All interstate carriers, private and for-hire, must register in the annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program.

Revised: 11/2017