Skip to main content

Seafood Dealer

Required State License(s):

A sales tax license may be required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at  517-636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

When transporting [not the owner] of seafood, a license is required with the Michigan Public Service Commission; 517-241-6030.

If the seller has a facility in Michigan (warehouse, store, repackaging); or if the seller sells directly to the public (e.g.., from the back of a pick-up truck), a food establishment license (see Food Establishment License for details) is required with the Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division; 1-800-292-3939.

Other License(s):

A wholesale fish dealer's license is required with the Department of Natural Resources for "Every person who deals in fish by operating a wholesale fish market or fish house, or who solicits the purchase of or buys fish for wholesale distribution”.

For further information contact the Department of Natural Resources, Licensing and Reservations Section; 517-284-6057 or visit the  Wholesale Fish Dealer Web page

Revised: 5/2017; Reviewed: 5/2017