Skip to main content


Required State License(s):

A sales tax license may be required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

Registered ID Number (RN#) required for manufacturers of textile, wool and fur products. Send a letter requesting RN# to the Federal Trade Commission, Textile Section, Division of Enforcement, Washington, DC 20580 (202) 326-3034.

Care labels are also required on all garments. Contact Federal Trade Commission, (202) 326-3034 for further information.

Further Information:

If a business is operated out of a home, contact the city clerk's office for zoning restrictions, and if necessary, to obtain a zoning variance.

Revised: 5/2005