Skip to main content

Small Engine Repair

Required State License(s):


Other Possible License(s):

When engine parts are installed; depending on rebuilt parts or new parts a sales or use tax license is required.  You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

An Auto Repair Facility [auto, truck, motorized trailer and motorcycle repairs] should be licensed. Mechanics are to be certified for every category of repair which the facility provides. Licensing fee is based on the number of licensed mechanics, income and square feet of facility. Contact the Department of State; 1-888-767-6424.  

Revised: 09/18/2013