Skip to main content

Spa Pools

Required State License(s):

Public swimming pools, spa pools, whirlpools, wading pools, water slides, etc., are required to be licensed with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy, Drinking Water and Environmental Health Division; 517-284-6529.

Permits are required to construct and to operate these pools.

Contact the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development about pool cleaning, chemicals,etc., Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division; 800-292-3939.

A license as a residential builder or maintenance and alteration contractor in swimming pool installation is required when engaging in swimming pool installation or a residential or combination residential and commercial structure. Contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Professional Licensing at 517-373-8068 for licensure information or visit our website at